Sohal Immigration Consultant Pvt. Ltd.
Celebrating 10 Years of Success

Study in Germany

Germany is well known for its quality Higher Education and as the country’s capital Berlin is the forerunner in this. In terms of university education, the area is one of the most prolific in the whole of the European Union.

The city has a large number of research institutions that may or may not be connected to the city’s universities, offering a wide number of courses. Coupled with the fact that German is such a widely learnt modern foreign language, it is easy to see why almost 140,000 students have made the choice to study here.

There are four public universities in Berlin. They are:

  • Humboldt University of Berlin
  • Free University of Berlin
  • Berlin Institute of Technology (TU Berlin)
  • Berlin University of the Arts
There are also 27 colleges, which may be private or offer a technological education.

Undergraduate degrees in Berlin generally last 3 or 4 years, although courses in medicine, law, pharmacy and teaching training may be of differing lengths.

Courses may be taught in German or English, often with the focus of attracting foreign students.  You may have to take the German Language University Entrance Examination (DSH) to check your language suitability.

Immigration and visas

EU citizens are permitted to take an undergraduate course in Germany without a visa providing they can demonstrate the following:

  • They are studying for more than three months
  • They have sufficient income or savings to support yourself during your studies
  • They are enrolled at an approved or accredited institution
Non-EU students will need to apply for a student visa (studentenvisum), which will normally be issued for an initial three month period before being extended on arrival. You cannot come to study in Germany on a tourist visa.

Accommodation and living costs

Finding somewhere to live in another country before the start of your undergraduate degree might seem daunting, but as an international undergraduate student you are likely to have help in this from your chosen university.

You may decide to live in halls owned by the university, where you will such things as bills included in your rent. You should check with your university to see if you will be eligible for a room.

You might decide to live independently in an apartment, although affordable accommodation is in high demand so you should be prepared to start looking as early as possible. 

Another option is to live in student accommodation that is run privately, and so is independent of your university. These residence halls will be shared with other students and may cost you around €200 per month, with all utilities included.

Contact us at and we'll be in touch to help you through the process
Study Abroad Programs for - Canada | UK | USA | Australia | Singapore | Italy | Germany | Switzerland    
  Copyright © Sohal Immigration Consultant Pvt. Ltd. 2018 All rights reserved | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | Legal Disclaimer