Sohal Immigration Consultant Pvt. Ltd.
Celebrating 10 Years of Success

Student visa financial capacity requirements

You need to have enough money that is genuinely available to you to pay for your course fees, travel and living costs for you and your accompanying family members while you are in Australia.

You may need to provide specified documentary evidence of your financial capacity with your visa application. You can find out if you are likely to need to provide this evidence by using the Document Checklist Tool.  

Documentary evidence of financial capacity

 Where you need to provide evidence of financial capacity, you will be able to demonstrate this by providing one of the following:

  • evidence of funds to cover travel to Australia and 12 months’ living, course and (for school aged dependants) schooling costs for the student and accompanying family members
  • evidence that you meet the annual income requirement
  • an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Students (AASES) form (secondary exchange students only).
  • a letter of support from Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or Department of Defence.

The type of evidence, where required, includes money deposit or loan with an approved financial institution, government loan, scholarship or sponsorship.

The annual income option requires students to provide evidence of personal annual income of at least AUD 60,000. For students accompanied by family members the amount is AUD 70,000. The income demonstrated must be the personal income of your spouse (who is not travelling with you) or parents. In circumstances where both of your parents are working, their combined income can be considered for this requirement. In all cases, the evidence of annual income must be provided in the form of official government documentation, such as a tax assessment. 

Where our online application system indicates that documentary evidence of financial capacity is required, it is important that you attach these documents to your visa application prior to lodgement. Failure to do so may result in visa refusal.

Living cost amounts

From 1 July 2016, the 12 month living cost is:

  • student/guardian AUD 19,830
  • partner/spouse AUD 6,940
  • child AUD 2,970.

School aged dependants

 Where school aged children are included in your student visa application, schooling costs of AUD 8,000 per year for each child will need to be added to the amount of funds that is required. This amount is the minimum required for a visa application only and you are responsible for researching schooling costs, which may vary widely between states, territories and schools in Australia.

Dependent children of PhD students are not required to demonstrate evidence of schooling costs if they provide evidence of enrolment in an Australian government school with exemption of school fees.

Dependent children of Australian Commonwealth Government scholarship recipients, including children of Foreign Affairs and Defence sponsored students, are not required to demonstrate evidence of schooling costs if they provide evidence of enrolment in a government school where the fees have been waived and the student is enrolled in a course as an Australian Government Commonwealth scholarship recipient.

Genuine access to funds

 You and your accompanying family members must have enough money genuinely available to you for your use while you are in Australia.

When considering whether the funds shown will be genuinely available, we will take into account factors including:

  • the nature of the relationship between you and the person who is providing the funds, where applicable
  • your income, assets and employment or those of the other person who is providing the funds
  • your previous visa history and that of the person providing the funds.

Family members of students

Family members of existing student visa holders will need to apply for a subclass 500 visa if they do not currently hold a student visa and wish to join you in Australia.

Generally, the same level of evidentiary requirements of financial capacity applied to primary applicants (students) would apply to your family members, including subsequent dependants.

In all circumstances, our officers have discretion to ask for further evidence of funds, if required. 



Study Abroad Programs for - Canada | UK | USA | Australia| Singapore | Italy | Germany | Switzerland    
  Copyright © Sohal Immigration Consultant Pvt. Ltd. 2018 All rights reserved | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | Legal Disclaimer